onsdag 27 augusti 2014

It's all in your head, darl

Planning to move to Sydney? When I first moved here, I had no idea what to expect in the winter. Although used to cold winters, sometimes with minus 20 degrees, I still felt cold here. I soon realised it had much to do with a state of mind that is deeply ingrained in our Scandinavian culture. The idea of waiting for summer.

When accepting that my understanding of the weather, and of hot and cold, is indeed very much in my own head, I took a deep breath, and stopped fighting the instinct of complaining about inadequate heaters, poor insulation and not enough Bikram Yoga classes in a day... I started to understand the idea of wearing uggs, and adapted to wearing shoes indoors.

Occasionally I miss the seasons, for sure. I miss the anticipation every spring, when we celebrate it all coming back to life after a long cold winter. I miss the long summer nights, and the idea of holding on to every day, every hour of sunlight. But I am happy to let you know that my feet have not been cold since the snow blizzard in Birmingham in March 2013.

I have stopped comparing. I feel at home at both places and I'd like to think that I adjust my life after any season, location and company.

But, if you're interested, I've made an attempt to give you some perspective. I had a look at the average temperature here in Sydney and back Sweden, where they have just had a very warm summer, with about 2 temperatures above the average of 18 degrees. Sydney had 24 days of 18°C or above in July, which is the middle of our winter. There were 7 days reaching at least 20 degrees. The average minimum temperature was 8.9 °C. Although we had a a very warm and very dry July, with rainfall very much below-average, we still had about twice as much rainfall as Sweden...

Last autumn, Sydney had most days above 20 °C and 25 °C, with no nights below 10 °C. You could compare with the average spring temperature in Sweden, which was about 7 degrees this year.
















Inga kommentarer: